Sunday, January 18, 2009

A Stitch in the Right Direction

I mentioned in some earlier post that I was knitting a scarf for my brother. A normal statement for most people but for me it is well, huge. My brother and I have had had a difficult relationship for about the past 20 years so to knit for him is a big deal. But I dove right into the project with no second thoughts and never set the project aside to work on something else so maybe that is a sign of something. Like growing or forgiveness or some of that other junk.....we'll see -it is a new year after all.

We met up today with for me to give him the scarf and he seemed properly appreciative and wrapped it around his neck right away, could have also been the fact that it was something like 20 degrees out today.

Here's some knitting details on the scarf itself Irish Hiking Scarf knit with 2 skeins of Cascade 220. I forgot home something like a simple cable just looks so classic and in this colorway it just came out as such a good manly scarf.

I wasn't sure if my brother would want his photo the blog so I went and found another volunteer on Boston Common who was more than willing to take over modeling duties.

Irish Hiking Scarf modeled

And a close-up

Irish Hiking Scarf

6 comments:

Unknown said...

The scarf is lovely.

Knitting for someone is a big investment, I'm glad your brother appreciated it.

Sara Kirby said...

Sarah, this scarf looks great! I love the Irish Hiking Scarf and have made two myself. I completely agree about the cabling and how it looks classic and manly. I should make one for my brother!

Hope it brought you two a little closer.

Kirby

Ariel said...

Love it! Glad your brother appreciated it 'cuz otherwise I'd have to offer to kneecap him for you. And that would make your next family gathering AAWkward.

Unknown said...

I'm glad you guys were able to come together with the help of the hand knits.

Donna said...

If I had a brother I'd make him one of these. Looks great.

Anonymous said...

LOL... That is a nice action. Good thinking.