Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Yummy weekend!


So this weekend packed full of some new culinary delights. Friday night I tried out UBurger in Kenmore Square, I'm not sure it lived up to the hype since I had seen glowing blurbs on it in the Globe Magazine and Phantom Gourmet. But it was a good, cheap burger and the french fries and onion rings were really good. All in a all a good spot when I am craving the red meat.

Then Saturday after seeing the Fashion Show exhibit at the MFA we all headed over the Squealing Pig (I love the name it's so very Deliverance). Oh, I should mention the museum trip, a small exhibit with gorgeous dresses, the John Galliano for Chanel were wonderful - how can you not love dresses with sequined skulls along the bottom? But I am not sure if it was worth the hefty ticket price so if you can get in free go - if not get a copy of W.

Back to the vittles....I had the yummiest sandwich at the Squealing Pig, roast chicken and onion with smoked gouda in a pressed panini-type sandwich. Pretty much it could have been blah, blah, blah....smoked gouda. I am my mother's daughter. There's a note on the menu that the bread for the restaurant is made at Clear Flour Bread. So Meg asks me if I go there and of course I am clueless. Turns out its right on the Brookline/Allston/Brighton edge. So instead of heading home Meg and I decide to find the bakery. She's been there before and always gets lost and this time was no different, we find ourselved wandering around the back roads of Brookline searching for bread.


Finally, we make it there and our quest was totally worth it. It's a teeny, tiny bakery that can maybe fit 6 customers. We waited outside until we could fit and were rewarded with the most amazing smells and sights. Focaccias, baguettes, brioches.....including heart-shaped baguettes for Valentines Day. I treated myself to these great poppy bread sticks made with garlic butter and a single chocolate-chip cookie. And the best news of all is that they're open 'til 8pm during the week and are right on my way home!

No comments: